After our popular article on time management skills for students, I’d like to explore good time management techniques for professionals.
First, there are a lot of great resources out there around time management techniques for entrepreneurs, for teachers/academics , and also a beautifully done infographics on how small business owners spend their time.
Here are a couple of practical tips that helps me focus and get work done. Maybe these time management techniques would work for you too.
- Shut down your Mail application for an hour at a time. Not checking email, and not having pings every few minutes will allow you to focus.
- Turn off notifications on emails during your “in the zone” hours.
- Have a list of things you need to do on your screen. I have Priority Matrix running on an external 27” screen that I can always refer to see what I need to focus on. Check out the screenshot below.
- Wear large noise-canceling headphones so that others get the hint that you are focused on the work at hand. Even better, encourage this as a policy at your workplace.
- When trying to focus, do not do anything else distracting. It’s convenient to open another web browser, or check your phone, with the excuse that you’re thinking. It doesn’t work. Don’t make that excuse, and keep your screen focused on the work at hand.
- As a corollary to (5), simply close your eyes if you need to think.